4835 Arlington Street
Loves Park, Il 61111
“Making Life Bearable for our Veterans”
I am humbled to be the Chief of Staff/Extension Department Chairman for the “Making Life Bearable for our Veteran’s Year. We have four Deputies this year including myself to help our Auxiliaries with any problems that may arise. Remember to be kind and courteous to all members. We are all here for the same reason; to serve veterans, their families and doing service work in the community. The key is working together as a TEAM and involving all members in projects we do for this Great Organization.
Keep up to date on the latest information found on the Department and National Websites. MALTA also has valuable resources free of charge to aid you in keeping our Auxiliaries healthy and in working order. There are also Certificates of Appreciation you can give out to say Thank-You for a job well done. Always remember if you are in doubt, ask questions and make sure you follow the proper Chain of Command.
Chief of Staffs are the main point of contact for the Extension Program. The Department Chief of Staff works closely with the Department President and organizers to form new Auxiliaries. The Chief of Staff also works with the Department President and the District Presidents to maintain current Auxiliaries is a PRIORITY.
- Establish New Auxiliaries
- Maintain Current Auxiliaries
- Present to Unaffiliated Posts
Establish New Auxiliaries
Interested in starting an Auxiliary? Whether a VFW Post decides on its own that it wants an Auxiliary or whether a member or non-member sees the potential for a new Auxiliary, the steps for creating an Auxiliary are the same:
1. A VFW Post must vote by 2/3 majority to have an Auxiliary. (An Auxiliary can never exist on its own without a Post and can never be started without that Post’s permission).
2. The Department President appoints the official organizer of that Auxiliary and he/she must be a member of the VFW Auxiliary.
It would help to allow two others who are knowledgeable with Auxiliary business and work well with others to be on an organizing team. They can answer questions and assist with training, educating and mentoring the new Auxiliary once it is instituted. It is recommended the organizer and the organizing teamwork with the Auxiliary and its members for at least a year, or until they are ready to proceed as an Auxiliary in good standing.
3. A minimum of 15 eligible applicants must be on the application for the Charter. Transfers are accepted at the close of the institution and just prior to the installation of the newly formed Auxiliary.
The Department Chief of Staff could assist by providing the following tools for the organizer and organizing team:
• Talking points for the first meeting.
• A procedure for membership applications.
• When and how to collect dues.
• Assist in securing and filling out official and proper paperwork.
• See that deadlines and filings are met in a timely manner.
• For more information on this topic, see Article II of the VFW Auxiliary Podium Edition: Bylaws and Ritual.
Maintaining Current Auxiliaries
The National Organization has developed many resources for members use, including tools available on the Online Auxiliary Academy and the Program & Publicity Resources page of the National website: www.vfwauxiliary.org/resources. Two of these resources have proven to be valuable tools in helping Auxiliaries be more productive.
1. The Healthy Auxiliary Tool Kit includes seven (7) resources to assist Auxiliaries in identifying and solving issues.
2. Building on the VFW Auxiliary Foundation makes every effort to educate members on all aspects of the duties of Officers at all levels, how to be a Chairman, the why of reporting, etc.
These tools invite all members to come forward and take on a position of leadership, mentoring, and being a member who advocates for their Auxiliary and the veterans we serve.
The Five Essentials of an Auxiliary
1) Auxiliaries should have at least 10 business meetings per year. (Sec 210) Five members in good standing (of that Auxiliary) shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. (Sec 212)
2) Dues should be paid on 10 members on or before February 1st of the current year (Sec 207)
3) Quarterly audits by Trustees must be submitted (Sec 814)
4) Officers elected and installed and reported to National Headquarters no later than June 30th.This generates the bond application via email.) Sec. 804A & 806A)
5) The offices of President and Treasurer MUST BE BONDED BY August 31st.
Chief of Staff & Extension Program Awards
AWARDS FOR MEMBERS
1. $25 VFW Store Gift Certificate to one member in each of the four Conferences who assisted in revitalizing/rejuvenating a struggling Auxiliary and utilized Building on the VFW Auxiliary Foundation in their efforts. Any member at any level of the organization can be nominated by the revitalized/rejuvenated Auxiliary. Nominated form (required) available at www.vfwauxiliary.org/resources. Nomination forms are due to the Department Chief of Staff by March 31, 2021.
The Department Chief of Staff must sign and send a copy of the completed Department-winning nomination form to the National Chief of Staff by April 30, 2021 for judging.
AWARDS FOR DEPARTMENTS AND DEPARTMENT CHAIRMEN
1. Citation to each Department Chief of Staff for participation in this Program.
2. A $25 VFW Store Gift Certificate to one Department Chief of Staff in each of the 10 Program Divisions for the best guidance and advice related to strengthening and rejuvenating an Auxiliary.
3. Outstanding Performance Award in each of the 10 Program Divisions based on criteria listed on Page 5 and for the Promotion Goals on Page 24.
New Auxiliary Awards
1. $50.00 to each new Auxiliary instituted between July 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021, provided a transmittal and proper paperwork is received at National Headquarters by April 10, 2021.
2. $20.00 and a Citation to the Organizer who has the most members present at the time of institution (minimum of 15 to qualify)
1. A Citation to Auxiliaries who used publicity to revitalize their auxiliary. Report to be sent to Department Extension Chairman before March 15, 2021.
2. A Citation to Auxiliaries that used the Mentoring resources available to start/continue mentoring in their Auxiliary. Report to be sent to Department Extension Chairman before March 15, 2021.
1. $10.00 to the new Auxiliary that has the most members of the new Auxiliary present at the time of institution (minimum of 15 to qualify)
2. $10.00 and a citation to the new Auxiliary that has the greatest number of members transmitted on the first transmittal following institution.
3. $10.00 and a citation to both the District President and the Deputy Chief of Staff assigned to that District who institutes a new Auxiliary in their District Between July 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021.
4. $10.00 and a citation to the organizer who organizes and institutes a new Auxiliary between July 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021.
Awards for Deputy Chief of Staff
1. $10.00 and citation to the Deputy Chief of Staff who provides the most assistance to faltering auxiliaries in her assigned Districts. The Deputy Chief of Staff’s report and all other communications received throughout the year will be used in consideration of this award.
2. $10.00 and a Citation to the Deputy Chief of Staff who has shown the best promotion on the Extension Program throughout the year. The Deputy Chief of Staff’s report and all other communications received throughout the year will be used in consideration of this award.
We have provided a place here for you to download all of the information that we distribute to you through our Program Book and Bi-Monthly Chairmen’s Bulletins. You will need Adobe Reader, it is a Free program and can be downloaded here Get Adobe
2020-2021 Department Chief of Staff/Extension Report (Click here for Online Report)
- Why Having an Auxiliary Can Boost Your Post (Unaffiliated Post presentation – PowerPoint)
- Why Having an Auxiliary Can Boost Your Post (PDF)
- Top Ten Reasons for Your Post to Have an Auxiliary
- 5 Essentials of An Auxiliary Card
- Starting a New Auxiliary Card
Healthy Auxiliary Tool Kit
- VFW Auxiliary Sample Meeting Agenda
- Auxiliary Meeting Checklist (for the Auxiliary President)
- Healthy Communication Phone/Text Tree
- R U Healthy Checklist – Auxiliary To-Dos and Deadlines
- VFW Auxiliary Meeting Challenges & Solutions
- VFW Auxiliary Member Questionnaire
- VFW Auxiliary Health Certificate
Good Job Awards
- VFW Auxiliary Good Job Award Option 1 (Full Page, Fillable PDF)
- VFW Auxiliary Good Job Award Option 2 (Full Page, Fillable PDF)
- VFW Auxiliary Good Job Card Side 1 (Business Card Size, Printable Template)
- VFW Auxiliary Good Job Card Side 2 Option 1 (Business Card Size, Printable Template)
- VFW Auxiliary Good Job Card Side 2 Option 2 (Business Card Size, Printable Template)